Saturday 12 September 2015

Ironman 140.6 Amsterdam (Challenge)


Well, it’s hard to get annoyed or sad about today’s race as my pacing, nutrition and race positioning was spot on where I wanted it to be due to the weather circumstances…  …but if there’s one thing I learned from my last season’s mistakes or achievements was to not take races to heart.

Things go right and things go wrong…. Last year I already achieved what I really wanted to do in the long distance. My 9h47m finish in Barcelona already set my mind to peace with the big sub 10h monster so this year it was particularly difficult to find some sort of a target or a motivation.

At the start of the year I thought it’d be nice to try to get closer to the 9h30m or even try to break it.

Unfortunately, Last April I had an Achilles injury which left me out without being able to do proper speed training until practically 2 weeks before my Ironman 70.3 in Dublin in August and even after that I also had a couple of terrible weeks where I couldn’t even rest my foot on the ground (1st week of September).

Before that I also had to cancel 3 Triathlon races (an Ironman 70.3, an Olympic and a sprint), 2 Duathlons, 1 aquathon and a few TT sessions with the club.

With all that in mind, I decided to still come here to Amsterdam and go long (Ironman 140.6). I didn’t really mind what the outcomes would be as long as I knew I left everything I had on the field… and fortunately this was the case today.

Yes, I’m going home with a DNF and a pat on the back instead of a finisher’s medal and a T-shirt but I know this is the best I could’ve done today.
By having stayed on the ground, I think I would’ve seriously damaged my Achilles too much to the point of no recovery.

I know I don’t want to go long again but I also want that I still want to compete in more Ironman 70.3’s in the years to come… so having thrown the towel today (even though it’s not a nice feeling) it was the right thing to do.


Swim: It's ok, it's only the start...

The swim went fine… water was around 17degrees and not very choppy. The buoys were clearly visible and it was a very good swim course.

I started at the front and kept there pretty much the entire race splashing around sometimes with a few lads and some times on my own.

At the 1.9k mark, I checked my watch (29mins), which it would more or less mirror what I was expecting to see. A bit slow but such is life!

My second lap was even a bit slower but at least I go to break the hour, which is okish for the amount of time that I spent in the pool this year.

Bike: They have wind turbines for a reason!

Once I got on the bike, I started pushing the watts controlling the bike, which seemed to be a bit of a job due to the strong winds (here in The Netherlands they call them gentle breeze).

It was all-fine until the 18th km where we had the wind on our right-front shoulder until the 40-41st km… then, we turned again and we had full-on headwind until the 70th km…  it was pretty hardcore … we knew it was 20-30km more with the wind sitting on our right-back corner and then again another miserable loop of 60kms with the wind on our heads.

The course is VERY FLAT…. I don’t think there’s any other course out there in the world as flat as this one….  According to my Garmin I was on a TT position for 5h10m and only standing up 10mins (which includes the water stations).

But don’t fool yourself (in case you’re thinking of doing this race) … the course is based on cycling paths, cobble stone streets, speed bumps, cow gates, farmers roads,  and even when you’re on the “main road” this is not the usual crystal-smooth pavement. The road surface was made up of some sort of a red-mixed stones put together.
I was incredibly disappointed by this fact…. But such is life and the pavement and strong winds are there for everyone.

My Achilles started giving out a bit as I was pushing on the second lap against the wind but nothing major though.

I managed to be in control and stay in the front 7th or 8th (AG) during the long distance Dutch Championships which is not bad if you think about it. (Everyone’s so tall in this land – I looked like my wee girl with her tiny bike next to these dudes with their very high saddles).

I dealt with my nutrition brilliantly and I started overtaking a lot of cyclists in the last 15kms of the bike. Felt very strong and with a lot of hunger for the marathon’s miles!

T2: Not good news

I got off the bike and I noticed that I couldn’t rest my left foot on the ground.  I limped from the dismount line until the Transition area but the pain was unbearable so I started hopping with my right foot while holding the bike and finding my number to rack it.
The entire ankle was hurting, it wasn’t the Achilles alone… as a matter of fact the Achilles was the less of my worries there.
I’ve never felt this way before during training so it’s was all new news to me. Eventually I drop the bike off and hopped into the changing tent where I sat down, massage my foot quickly and off I went on my run.

Run: Oh, oh.
The running shoe must have absorbed part of the shock as I was able to run without limping anymore.
I set myself to my usual 4:35 pace (which is too fast but I always do the same for the first 2kms) and I kept in under control (4:40) during the first 7 mins.
Unfortunately, the pain around my ankle was too unbearable and as soon as I started the 2nd loop I realized there was no way I would be able to finish the race.

I decided to see if I walked a bit maybe it would go away but the minute I stopped running and started to walk, my ankle shoot a very strong pain in the ankle that made me fall. That’s when I realized my race was over.

I got up, took my chip off and started to walk back to the headquarters.
The pain was actually worst walking than it had been the entire loop and as I write these lines, the Achilles is reminding me who’s wearing the trousers in this relationship! J

Ah well, as I said, it was only a race… this puts an end to a terrible season if it wasn’t for the Barcelona Marathon in March which is the only thing I take with pride this year.

Thank you all for your support and messages.


Ernest


No comments:

Post a Comment